Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 23:55:17 -0600

On Apr 2, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Richard Chan wrote:

I'm building and creating the image on a different UEFI machine (this one was booted from grub-legacy in UEFI mode).

As this stage, I'm clearly not able to affect the target's boot entries
but also don't want to "install" it on the source machine, since
they are totally separate machines.

On the target machine EFI Boot Manager
I can add an entry manually via browsing the USB drive.
This loads to the GRUB 2.00~beta command line.
The GRUB CLI seems to be fullly functional with regard to finding harddisks and ls'ing of  directories (ext2 and fat).
However it errors out at linux kernel loading.

Fair point, if it's not in rescue mode, it's found normal.mod which means it's probably found all of the other modules. I don't know that this is a GRUB problem.

Have you confirmed you have the latest UEFI firmware revision for this model?

Have you tried a different kernel version (much newer and much older)?

Have you done a memtest86+ on this hardware? If it's never been done, I'd let it run overnight.

Chris Murphy