Re: grub2/grub-pc install not possible on mdadm

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: grub2/grub-pc install not possible on mdadm
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:05:27 -0700

On Feb 28, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Stefan Priebe wrote:

> Am 28.02.2012 20:52, schrieb Chris Murphy:
>>
>> The partition table should be outside of RAID, and define the member devices
>> (and partitions) that make up the array. But inside the RAID, other than
>> RAID 1, the file system itself is obscured and GRUB probably can't find it's
>> various modules in e.g. /boot/grub2/
>>
>> Seems like core.img needs to already have mdraid1x.mod already baked into
>> it, in order for GRUB2 to understand RAID, and find the rest of its modules
>> to load. But my understanding is that to boot off RAID, it had to be RAID1.
>> I didn't think it was possible to have /boot on say RAID 0, 5, or 6 but I
>> could be confused. The manual isn't exactly clear what RAID levels
>> mdraid1x.mod supports.
>
> Correct - i'm using raid 1 so it should work.

Well with RAID1 I haven't even needed GRUB to have RAID support. Even GRUB
Legacy will work correctly. So as I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure exactly
what mdraid09.mod and mdraid1x.mod do? When GRUB comes up and starts to boot
off /boot, it's basically booting it as a non-dm/md device. Once initrd is
loaded, then md devices become active, and are mounted per fstab. Obviously
grub is well over and done with.

One thing is that if for some reason something were to be modified on one of
the RAID1 members during boot, would cause md to resync the array, which for a
normal 500MB RAID1 /boot partition would take a few seconds. Not a big deal if
that happened at every boot.

So yeah, I'm a bit flummoxed on what the GRUB2 RAID modules do. Briefly
googling isn't getting me far.

The one trick for RAID1, already mentioned, is you need GRUB2 installed in and
just after the MBR on both drives (or the BIOS Boot partition, also on each
drive, for GPT disks).

Chris Murphy