Re: Use PBR with BIOS Boot Partition, not blocklists?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Use PBR with BIOS Boot Partition, not blocklists?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:19:47 -0800

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Isaac Dupree
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi GRUB-ers,
>

> BACKGROUND:
>
> Apple's BIOS implementation, at least on my Macbook2,1 , flips out and fails
> to boot if you put GRUB* in the usual MBR location.**

If this is true then it's not something that grub developers are aware
of. Grub as a project often has to work around braindead firmware, but
until it's clear that this is needed as a work around for bugs in
Apple's BIOS implementation (or for another good reason) I don't see
grub supporting using the BIOS Boot Partition as an embedding area
when not installing to the mbr.

First, please run "grub-install /dev/sda" with no other work arounds
(preferably with grub 1.99) then run boot info script
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/ and post the
RESULTS.txt which it produces (to see if there are any other obvious
problems which might be causing boot to fail). If it does appear that
a work around is needed for Apple's firmware then a bug should be
filed against grub so an official work around can be created. Vague
reports on a wiki aren't helpful when trying to debug a problem like
this, so if a work around is needed we really need someone like you
who is experiencing the problem to work with the grub developers to
figure things out.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)