Re: recreating grub legacy feature in new grub

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: recreating grub legacy feature in new grub
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:49:20 -0800

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Rance Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been putting off for sometime a distro change for one of my
> firewall servers.  It ran Centos 5.  The need for security updates and
> a change in planned network environment prompted me to go ahead and
> drop support for Centos.  I elected to go with Ubuntu 11.10 for the
> server and rebuilt it last night after a lot of practice in a VM.
>
> The New OS is in service and everything is running fine.
>
> Here is my issue/problem.  The box is only MOSTLY headless.  The BIOS
> on this box does not support output to a serial port. So on occasion I
> have to plug in a monitor and keyboard and do bios updates and the
> like.
>
> My Centos grub legacy configuration included the terminal --timeout directive.
>
> This allowed me to select which console I was using.
>
> The new grub in Ubuntu can do console, or serial console, but
> apparently not BOTH.

You are mistaken. GRUB_TERMINAL= in /etc/default/grub takes a space
separated list of terminals, so you want something like this:
GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"

For more information on this and other options in /etc/default/grub
see: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration
.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)