howto grub-install

From: J.V.
Subject: howto grub-install
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:58:36 -0600

I have installed CentOS 6.0 on a SATA drive, default settings.

I was reading the grub manual and it led me to do the following:

At the root command prompt, I typed:
    #grub-install /dev/sda1

now when I boot, I have a black screen with a single blinking white cursor

Question 1)
    What went wrong?

Question 2)
    How do I get my OS back?

I have Windows 7 installed on the second SATA drive, how do I show this in the grub boot menu? I read the manual section about "chainloader" and another section referring to "menuentry", but the instructions were not specific enough for use.

Question 3)
What file do I edit to make "chainloader" go? I understand the concept, so now what?

Question 4)
    Where/what file does "menuentry" go in?

J.V.