Re: dual boot crux and free bsd!

From: Rance Hall
Subject: Re: dual boot crux and free bsd!
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 21:02:58 -0500

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Ramu Chakravadhanula
<address@hidden> wrote:

> can i install grub in crux and later install FREE BSD operating system. so,
> after installin free bsd, can i edit menu/lst file such that both exits??
>
> please help me,
>
> Thanking you,
>
> best regards,
> ramachandran.

Yes, you can do this.  How you do it depends in part on crux and in
part on which version of grub crux is using.

It would be easier if this were what we refer to as grub legacy,
because the documentation is better/easier (thats an opinion born of
my personal frustration)

Inside crux install grub

on a spare partition install freebsd.  (when the freebsd installer
asks do not install the freebsd bootloader.)

when you reboot you will get crux.

either edit the menu.lst file directly and add the reference to
chainload the freebsd partition. (if you are running grub legacy)

run the OS detector script for new grub and have it auto update the config file.

if you arent sure exactly how to edit the menu.lst file google for
"chainloading freebsd with grub" and be sure to make note of which
version of grub your results reference.

Rance