How to not use UUIDs at all grub-1.99rc1? VMWare changes UUID on restart

From: Jeff Kowalczyk
Subject: How to not use UUIDs at all grub-1.99rc1? VMWare changes UUID on restart
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 03:18:36 +0000 (UTC)

I'm trying to boot Gentoo Linux ~amd64 with grub-1.99rc1 on VMWare. Install is
done via LiveCD and chroot. Everything up to grub-mkconfig works fine, but on
restart VMWare, has this strange behavior of returning a different filesystem
UUID.

I hoped /etc/default/grub with the line

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=”true"

would do the trick, but grub.cfg still has the UUID in the search section.

Acknowledging the benefits of uuid device mapping, I want to use /dev/sda1
everywhere for the time being so I can boot without the LiveCD.

Any way to do that?

Thanks,
Jeff