What is the partition scheme good for?

From: Karl Schock
Subject: What is the partition scheme good for?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 14:48:00 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

in the the grub manual I read:

"2 Naming convention ...

(hd0,msdos2) ...

the string 'msdos' indicates the partition scheme ..."

"11.1 How to specify devices ...

(device[,part-num][,bsd-subpart-letter]) ...

part-num represents the partition number of device ..."

So I guess the partition scheme is not necessary and I ask myself what is it good for?

Are there other schemes in addition to msdos? If so: Which ones and when do I use them?

Bye
Karl

Schon gehört? WEB.DE hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://produkte.web.de/go/toolbar