Re: [Grml] Grub2 install behavior changed? Grml LiveCD 2010.12

From: hansbkk
Subject: Re: [Grml] Grub2 install behavior changed? Grml LiveCD 2010.12
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:30:34 +0700

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Jason White <address@hidden> wrote:
> The --boot-directory argument is optional; if you don't specify it,
> grub-install uses /boot.
>
> The grub-install(8) manual page says:
>
> --boot-directory=DIR
> install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the /boot/grub
> directory

The change in behaviour is that when you use --boot-directory to point
to the root/mount point of a device X, it used to write to X/boot/grub
not X/grub. NBD now that I know, but it is a change from the current
Ubuntu's grub2 version and therefore from many of the howto/blog
examples out there on the interwebs.

I'll follow up with the authors of that script to let them know
grub2's changed its MBR code with 1.99.

OT - Do you (or anyone) know of a tool (other than boot-info-script)
that parses all block device bootloaders and reports what type they
are and where they're pointing to?

> You could have used chroot and then run grub-install without specifying
> --boot-directory if you wanted.

> this is Linux. There are choices. Comamnds have options to cater for a wide
> variety of needs and preferences. You don't have to use this option if you
> don't want to. It's documented precisely in the manual page.

Thanks for the clarification.