serial port not named ttyS

From: Rob S
Subject: serial port not named ttyS
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:13:08 -0600

Hello,
Is there any way to route console output to a serial port that doesn't start with "ttyS"?

I am attempting to virtualize a serial out using a Digi PortServer. I've installed the PortServer software, and I am able to communicate with my machine through the virtualized port, but the device names are from /dev/ttyA01 through /dev/ttyA07. I cannot change those to S because of overlap with existing physical ports.

When I was using a physical port, I had these grub lines to direct console output...
serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=2 serial console

That worked for ttyS0. Is there a similar set of commands I could use to route to ttyA04? The documentation mentions that "unit" can only be 0-3 and it doesn't tell exactly how to use the "port" argument.

Thanks,
-Rob