Re: What does grub-install do?

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: What does grub-install do?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:26:43 +0800

On Friday 01,October,2010 02:42 PM, Dennis Cao wrote:
> Thanks �橇� for your useful info :)
>
> I am tring your method. But I wonder whether the the first line of the
> following 2 lines is useless.
>
>   >  set root=(hd0,x)
>   >  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>   As  command 'search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
> will reset 'root' environmental variable if it finds the device whose
> UUID is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Is it right?

No, command 'search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' is
just like the first line, set root, except it sets to the uuid, which is
better; the bios of all computers comes up with their 'own (hdx,y) upon
booting, especially with many hard disks and usb disks. For example, one
particular usb disk may be (hd1,1) and (hd2,1) on different boots, so it
is better to use uuid, (you can also use label: " search --no-floppy
--label --set xxx").

So, no, it has nothing to do with setting env variables.  And it is
important, not useless.

曹贵林, sorry, I forgot to add that after this is done, you will still
get a grub prompt ">grub" at boot. To get to the menu, you have to type
"configfile /grub.cfg" and then the menu will appear.

A simpler way is to make a bootable cdrom instead.....

At a terminal, type....
grub-mkrescue --output=xxxx.iso

where xxxx.iso can be anything you name, ending with .iso.
Then burn that xxxx.iso as an image to a cd.
You'll have a bootable cd.

Again, this does not contain any grub.cfg, to do that,

grub-mkrescue --output=xxxx.iso /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Also this boots to a grub prompt, ">grub" and you then type "configfile
/grub.cfg" to get to the menu.

Regards -  - �橇�- Goh Lip