Re: no initrd - update

From: Piscium
Subject: Re: no initrd - update
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:32:50 +0000 (GMT)

----- Original Message ----

> From: Goh Lip <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Sent: Sun, 20 June, 2010 10:49:52
> Subject: Re: no initrd - update

> href="http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd.html";
> target=_blank
> >http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd.html

Regards
> - Goh Lip

==================

Interesting read, thanks.

And this link answers one of my questions, why it is possible (sometimes) to
boot without initrd - because the kernel includes all the modules needed to
boot on the particular hardware:
http://www.ktrap.org/node/7874

And this link says that booting with initrd can take longer (2.5 seconds):
http://kerneltrap.org/node/15036

I did some measurements on my computer, how long it takes to boot
until the Gnome desktop appears. The time varies a lot, so I took four
measurements and averaged them. It took me 4 seconds more on average to boot
with initrd (+SELinux) than without, so I am considering going back
to booting without initrd.

One advantage of using initrd, though, is that it can handle UUID for the
kernel disk, and the advantage of that is that I can still boot if I delete a
lower number partition (because if I for example delete /dev/sdb9 then
/dev/sdb10 will be renumbered as /dev/sdb9 and so on, so that can
screw up grub.cfg).