Re: Single quote marks on '(hd0,x)'

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Re: Single quote marks on '(hd0,x)'
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:03:35 +0530

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Goh Lip <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is the significance of the quote marks and why was it added to the new
> grub version?

We did a GRUB script parser and lexer rewrite, where I tried to mimic
BASH syntax as much as possible.   If you notice, parenthesis are used
in BASH for executing commands in a sub-shell, and are treated as
special.  So if one wants to use parenthesis as part of an argument,
they need to be either escaped or made part of a string (double quotes
or single quotes.)

But later, we decided that we don't need this because, sub-shell like
feature doesn't make sense for GRUB shell anyway.  So behavior is
reverted back, and parenthesis are treated as regular characters and
doesn't need any escaping.

It seems the 1.98-1ubuntu1 package chose the safe, BASH compatible
approach, though both styles now work the same.

--
bvk.chaitanya