Re: Question regarding --root-device and --prefix parameters

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Question regarding --root-device and --prefix parameters
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 03:17:23 +0800

On 02/22/2010 04:09 AM, Πρεκατές Αλέξανδρος wrote:
Hi from greece.

I'm troubled about the semantics of the --root-device parameter in
grup-setup and --prefix in grub-mkimage. For time being i have the
impression that they both are related with
what files/dirs core.img will have access to, so the latter could
override the first.

thanks.

ps:The context of my question is trying to set up a dedicated grub2
partition , and
having troubles making installed grub (i used grub-install
--root-directory=/mnt/grub2 /dev/hda )
find the grub.cfg i had in grub2 partition /dev/hda2.

I hope I understand you correctly. You have a dedicated grub2 partition but with a wrong/missing/bad grub.cfg?

I had a similar dedicated grub2 partition by using only this command
grub-install --root-directory=/media/Booto /dev/sda

where Booto is label of dedicated partition.

There is no grub.cfg and I created one and copied to /media/Booto/boot/grub/ taking care that UUID and set root is of that Booto partition and not of the copied grub OS. (you can remove the function recordfail, savedefault and others, and modify gfxmode, locale if you want). Also if there is new version of grub, do the grub-install --root-directory command again and you will have a new version without affecting the grub.cfg.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Goh Lip