Re: efi linux booting on macbook pro fails with grub2 1.97

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: efi linux booting on macbook pro fails with grub2 1.97
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:50:09 -0700

I think that grub2 still uses the same hd0 == sda ; hd1 == sdb ; ... ; hd(N-1) =sd(N) scheme, but stops counting partitions within drives from 0 and instead uses the same number as otherwise (maybe they mapped 'partition 0' to the whole devices as a default argument; that would make sense to me).

So you need to modify your grub-config to read

menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux" {
       root=(hd0,3)
       fakebios
       linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro video=efifb
}

(Or something...)

Ubuntu 9.10, which is likely based off debian, automatically attemtps to regenerate the grub-configuration file based on the files in /etc/grub/ (or something like that, the system I was testing 9.10 on isn't installed anymore and my laptop's not going to be upgraded until I can re-install this weekend.)

running update-grub2 should regenerate the file; if you want to add your own code you can control where it goes in that file with the first two characters (alpha-numeric sorting in effect).