Does GRUB2 use the Dos Compatibility space?

From: Dr. Dov Bulka
Subject: Does GRUB2 use the Dos Compatibility space?
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

I know that Grub Legacy used the space following the MBR (DOS Compat Region) to store the code for stage 1.5. Consequently, it was a good idea for the OS to leave the first 32KB of the boot disk intact.

Are their any new space limitations introduced by GRUB2? How much of the beginning of the boot disk are dedicated to GRUB2? In other words, as an OS developer, what space regions should I stay away from?

Thx in advance,

Dov Bulka