Grub USB Installation

From: Kristian Kirilov
Subject: Grub USB Installation
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:06:39 -0200 (EET)

Hello, boys i installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my flash drive, on the last step of
setup i choice advanced settings and do install boot loader into /dev/sdb1
( this is my flash drive ) He have only 1 partition with ext3 file system
and boot flag. When installation is done i reboot the computer and boot
from my flash drive, but i only see text: GRUB and black screen. I cant do
anything, no commands or some errors just black screen.

I searched this in google, and i found cuz this is problem with my
device.map file, but he look fine, i maked some test:

For the beginning the device.map file look that:

(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/hdb

---------

But with this grub menu not working for me, only black screen. Then i
removed hd1 and place this record (hd0) /dev/sdb, same error, then i
replaced /dev/sdb with /dev/sdb1, same error.

Now i dont know what to do. If somebody can help to me?

Thanks.