Re: boot XP on hdd

From: Daniel Schröer
Subject: Re: boot XP on hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:26:22 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 22:24, Felix Miata <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2008/12/10 21:40 (GMT+0100) Daniel Schröer composed:
>
> Both your chainloader entries are pointing to (boot this) hdc1. I don't
> believe either of the rootnoverify lines is required due to the chainloader
> syntax you used.
>
> I rarely use multiple disks, but I believe this might be all you need re doz:
>
> title Windows XP
>    chainloader (hd1,0)+1
>
> title Windows 2000
>    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Thanks for the message and sorry for my mistake regarding the
rootnoverify and chainloader lines.

Your suggestion however does not work. Grub outputs the commands and
the computer hangs. I guess it does not find a suitable second
bootloader.

I am confused on why the Windows 2000 line works at all. W2k is
installed on sda and not hdc after all.

Is there anything else I need to take care of? What about this thing
with active partition and so on? I am quite lost.

I remember that before I introduced the IDE harddisks the mainboard
was booting from the MBR of sda. With the IDE disks it boots the MBR
of hdc. Maybe there is still a bootloader in the MBR of sda. Might
this have something to do with it?

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Ciao
Daniel