help-gnuzilla

Re: makeicecat fails for a miscalculation of the version of rename

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: makeicecat fails for a miscalculation of the version of rename
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:48:54 -0500

Earlier, I wrote:
> Sorry for the delay.  I think that the Perl Rename program does not
> provide enough value to warrant these complications.  It seems to me
> that the same job could be done quite simply using find, awk and sh,

FYI, here's what I came up with to replace the Perl rename program,
using portable POSIX shell and sed:

rename_files()
(
    IFS=''
    /bin/sed -e h -e 's|[^/]*$||' -e p \
             -e g -e 's|.*/||'    -e p "$@" |
        while read -r dir && read -r old && read -r new; do
            [ x"$old" = x"$new" ] || mv -- "$dir$old" "$dir$new"
        done
)

It's smaller than the code previously used to check for the Perl rename
program.  I've pushed it to the 'master' branch, here:

https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/commit/?id=725be23ef0e1b484f9ae19c9c9cac1835c138a1b

If anyone sees a problem with this approach, please let me know.

      Thanks!
        Mark