help-gnuzilla

onion browser popup window makes icecat hang for more than 20 minutes.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: onion browser popup window makes icecat hang for more than 20 minutes.
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 23:41:15 -0500

On some days when I start icecat, as soon as it shows the onion
browser popup window, it hangs and becomes totally nonresponsive for a
long time.  It stays hung for at least 20 minutes.  I have seen it
become unhung after a little more than 40 minutes.

This started happening a month or two ago.  I do not recall changing
or upgrading anything that would have affected this.  It just mysteriously
started happening.

If I kill icecat and restart it. the same thing happens.

The popup window is useless, a pain in the neck.  Testing whether Tor
is running is useless -- it is easy to tell that in other ways, such
as to try to ssh through it.

If you could provide a way to turn off the test and the popup window
to report the result, that might fix the hang problem as a side effect.