help-gnuts

[Help-gnuts] GNUTS project status

From: Julian Graham
Subject: [Help-gnuts] GNUTS project status
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:22:35 -0400

Hi GNUTS people,
 I was wondering if you could provide some technical details about
the GNUTS project. Interface mark-up -- which is what I think you're
working on -- is kind of near and dear to my heart.  A couple of years
ago I was looking for a way to target multiple user interface
platforms and found the market a bit empty, so I started writing a
library for doing interface mark-up in Ncurses, with Mozilla XUL and
XHTML being the initially supported languages.  The result is libRUIN
(http://www.nongnu.org/libruin/), which is progressing reasonably well
in terms of functionality and standards-compliance.

 But re: GNUTS,

 - How is the interface going to be specified?
 - Is it going to be in some kind of XML dialect?
 - If so, are you going to use one of the existing interface mark-up
dialects (like XUL, XHTML, or GNUe Forms) or create a new one?
 - How will the interface hook into the application?  (Might I
recommend GNU Guile?)
 - What's the distribution going to be like?  Some kind of plugin
system, maybe?
 - Do you need any help?

Thanks,
Julian