help-gnutls

Problem using the server name extension

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Problem using the server name extension
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:30:01 -0400

My client is compiled against gnutls 2.8.5. I am connecting to a server that's built against OpenSSL 1.0.0.

The OpenSSL server is failing the handshake with the following error message:

error:1408A0E3:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:parse tlsext

After some Googling around, I remove my client's call to gnutls_server_name_set( .. GNUTLS_NAME_DNS .. ), and that makes OpenSSL happy.

If I do not invoke gnutls_server_name_set(), we have a happy conversation. If I invoke gnutls_server_name_set(), OpenSSL bombs out during the handshake.

Has anyone seen this before?