help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:26:10 +0100

Simon Josefsson wrote:
Thanks for the information.  If you know of more GPLv2-only projects
that use GnuTLS, that would be useful to know.

Btw, Bongo looks relatively new, could you share any insight why you
chose a GPLv2-only license?  It looks bound to create problems sooner or
later.

It's not our choice, I'm afraid - we're a fork of the Hula Project, so Novell has a large amount of copyright interest in the code, and it's politically difficult to change that now (as they sold the rights to that business to a proprietary software company).

Our current project guidance is that contributions to Bongo are GPLv2+, and parts of Bongo are now fully under that license, but it will take time (a couple of years probably) before we've reached the stage where no old code is being used.

I suspect there will probably be other projects in the same situation.

IIRC, Gtk+ hackers have talked about moving to LGPLv3, but nothing has
actually been agreed.

Ok.  So maybe they actually don't have a LGPLv2.1+ policy.

Well, I believe the policy is to be LGPL rather than GPL, but I don't think that the version discussion has actually happened yet.

Thanks,

Alex.