help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS fatal alert

From: Daniel Stenberg
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS fatal alert
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:37:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

The _t are for 1.2.0; if you use the GnuTLS 1.2.0 header files it should build without modifications.

Aha, sorry. Didn't spot the version mismatch.

   const char *PORT = "443";
   const char *SERVER = "62.1.205.36";

Hm. When I try that server + port, it works for me as well. But if I point it to sourceforge's HTTPS server at 66.35.250.203:443, I get that TLS fatal alert again.

Does it work for you then? gnutls-cli seems to work fine against it.

Perhaps you'll find 'src/gnutls-cli' more useful, it is also a simple
client, but can print debugging info if you specify the -d parameter.
The code is not very readable, though,

Right. I actually started out with the manual and adjusted an existing source code to use GnuTLS, and when I got into trouble I thought I'd go back and simply use one of the simple apps first to check that the basic concepts work as I think they would.

But since the simple app doesn't even work, it is no wonder my own app doesn't since I picked lots of inspiration from this sample app. My app also works against www.gnutls.org:443, but no others.

I believe the one at [URL] is the most recent one?

Yes. They are included in doc/examples in the source package as well.

Okey. I started out without the source package, as I was hoping to get my stuff working with the Debian-distributed package.

What page could be improve to make it easier to find up-to-date docs?

The documentation page on the web site could clearly mention: "docs for 1.0.X here" and "docs for 1.2.X here".

The old manual is still available from the "Dcoumentation" page, but labeled as such. Is it too confusing?

Using Debian unstable, updated very frequently, I'm not used to looking for "old manual" links. I think they would be better if they mentioned version numbers/ranges.

I have now added text that say the new manual is for 1.2 and the old for 1.0, perhaps it help somewhat.

Yes, that is goodness!

Many thanks for your quick and detailed response.

(I am in the progress of making libcurl optionally use GnuTLS for SSL support...)

--
         -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-