help-gnunet

Re: where do I find extra peers?

From: Mateusz Viste
Subject: Re: where do I find extra peers?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:02:03 +0200

On 25/08/2020 11:30, Fungi4All wrote:
I wished someone who has been successful to write an easy to follow step by
step guide for dummies.

I found the instructions provided in the handbook pretty easy to follow - as far as "installation" is concerned at least. Well, I had some little troubles building the thing, but I can't say I was surprised to run into minor problems.

Currently I am able to see a few peers, so I guess I'm good. I'm unable to do anything beyond that, though - so my assumption is that the peers I see simply do not provide much service. The fact that the protocol changed last month and broke the network probably bears some part of its responsibility for such limited size of the current gnunet mesh.

The manual as written appeals to those who are interested in theory and are
able to understand it.

That is my feeling as well - I have read the documentation, it it very well written and goes into much details, but overall the project looks (to me) like it is a toy for academic people that like to play with number theories. Nothing wrong with that of course - I suppose every advanced technology must start like that.

I hope I don't get any responses to this of the type "gnunet is not for
everyone".

Well, it clearly isn't for everyone - first barrier is the platform (linux only), then comes the complexity of the whole thing (I'm esp. confused about the entire GNS subsystem) and the fact that nothing is stable yet. Not surprising: it is, after all, a very much "work in progress" project, and the founders are quite honest about it ("largely not yet ready for usage beyond developers").

There are other interesting projects if one seeks immediate functionality: I was playing with Freenet last week, it is a nice multiplatform project that is trivial to install (I got a a working access to the network within 10 minutes). There is also the IPFS which is maturing nicely, but the goals are obviously much different.

That being said, I cannot say that I am not a tiny little bit disappointed - I was expecting at least some very minimal form of "demo" functionality, unfortunately gnunet's network appear to be a desert place at the moment.

Mateusz