help-gnu-utils

mktemp and suffixes

From: Nuno J. Silva
Subject: mktemp and suffixes
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:54:49 +0000

In a BASH script I'm writing, I need temporary files. Unfortunately, not
only some of the used programs don't accept stdin nor stdout, but they
also require "extensions" on the input/output file.

As I want to be sure nothing is overwritten, I tried calling mktemp with
a modified template:

$ mktemp tmp.XXXXXXXXXX.ext
mktemp: too few X's in template `tmp.XXXXXXXXXX.ext'

Which is just the default template with some more characters appended,
that is, the amount of X's is the same. I even tried with more and more
X's and it still didn't work, so I gave up, as the problem must be
something else.

Is this a limitation of mktemp (X's must be on the right)? Or am I
missing some parameter? --suffix=.ext (seen on the web) doesn't work.

(And the version is 7.5:)

$ mktemp --version
mktemp (GNU coreutils) 7.5
[...]