help-gnu-utils

core format not recognized

From: Christian Christmann
Subject: core format not recognized
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:14:57 +0100

Hi,

after running an application and getting an segmentation
fault, I want to figure what part of the code is responsible
for that. For this purpose I use GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian. I run:
"gdb EXECUTABLE core" and get the error message:

core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized

(code is compiled with gcc 3.4.6 and -g)

So, debugging is not possible. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Regards,
Chris