help-gnu-utils

why can't gnumake utilize non-filename pattern rules?

From: Randy Yates
Subject: why can't gnumake utilize non-filename pattern rules?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:51:16 -0500

If I have the rule

% : gen%

(without a rule), make won't work - it says "no rule to build file $*".
If I say

% : gen%
.PHONY : %

make won't work - it simply skips the pattern rule.

I want to make a dependency chain based on a pattern rule, without the
pattern rule target necessarily being a file. Why can't I do this? Or
how could I do this?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %             she does the things you do,