help-gnu-utils

Gettext: duplicate msgid to msgstr

From: Throw
Subject: Gettext: duplicate msgid to msgstr
Date: 23 Feb 2005 03:48:55 -0800

[possibly multiposted to some other groups]

G'day everyone

Is there a gettext tool (for MS Windows) that can duplicate the msgid
filed in a PO file to the msgstr, without changing anything in the
msgid field itself?

I'm a translator.  I translate PO files for some clients.  These
clients require the msgid field in the the resultant translated PO file
to be completely untouched because they use tools to determine
fuzziness based on minute changes to the msgid field.

My translation tools can't copy the msgid content to the msgstr field,
so I have to do it manually, which takes time and which can accidently
change a space or two in the client's msgid field (which is a bad
thing).  I also need to have the msgstr field in a single line, but I
can do that myself without touching the msgid field at all.

I need a tool that will change

msgid ""
"This is a"
"nice tool."