help-gnu-music

Re: clashing notecolumns

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: clashing notecolumns
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:47:43 +0200

> What is a "clashing notecolumn"?  What features of a score make them,
> and how do you find them in your input?  I get the feeling they are
> rather benign, but they seem to be important enough to deserve warning
> outputs.  I would like to fix my score so it doesn't have any "clashing
> notecolumns" and no warnings.

Mostly when I get this warning, it means that I have several
simultanous voices with colliding stems. Compare the following
two examples:
 <\context Voice=upper{c4 d e d | c2 c}
  \context Voice=lower{c4 b c d | e2 e}>
 <\context Voice=upper{\voiceOne c4 d e d | c2 c}
  \context Voice=lower{\voiceTwo c4 b c d | e2 e }>
\voiceOne and \voiceTwo sets the directions of stems (and slurs)
to point up and down, respectively. As you can see, this also
gets rid of the warnings. So, in a way the warnings are harmless
but may be worth looking at.

   /Mats