help-gnu-music

Re: Parsing...

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Parsing...
Date: 02 Jun 2001 12:25:14 +0200

Peter <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Peter,

> I only wanted a little bit of info about how to start Lilypond an now I am
> member of a mailinglist, this is a bit odd for me.

That's ok.

> This is my problem:
>
> address@hidden:~ > lilypond
> GNU LilyPond 1.3.108.

Current development is at 1.4.2, you may want to upgrade.  Binaries
for several distributions are available from
ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/binaries, or through rpmfind.net.

> Now processing: `-'
> Parsing...
>
> And hothing happens further...

Ah, LilyPond is a batch program.  To cite the homepage:

    It produces music notation from a description file.

She is now waiting for a music description file on stdin; probably not
what you want.  You may want to have a look at the tutorial first:

    http://lilypond.org/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Tutorial.html

See `First steps' and `Running LilyPond'.  If you can't live without a
gui, you may want to try denemo, which is a frontend for LilyPond.
See http://denemo.sourceforge.net, or do

   apt-get install denemo

or your local system's equivalent if you don't run Debian.

Jan.