help-gnu-music

Re: lyrics for additional verses?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lyrics for additional verses?
Date: 18 Mar 2001 07:05:52 -0500

    Jan> Michael Vanier <address@hidden> writes:
    >> Is there a way in lilypond to simply list the lyrics corresponding to
    >> additional verses after the end of the music, with one paragraph per
verse?

    Jan> Yes, you should look at lilypond-book.

What abc2ly does is to define a lyrics context without notes:

\score
{
    \context Lyrics
    <
        { \lyrics "Was i so base, that I might not aspire" }
        { \lyrics "Unto those high joyes which she holds from me?" }
        { \lyrics "As they are high, so high is my desire:" }
        { \lyrics "If she this denie, what can granted be?" }
        { \lyrics "" }
        { \lyrics "If she will yeeld to that which " }
        { \lyrics "It is reasons will that love should be just." }
        { \lyrics "Deare make me happy still by granting this," }
        { \lyrics "Or cut off delayes if that I die must." }
        { \lyrics "" }
        { \lyrics "Better a thousand times to die," }
        { \lyrics "Then for to live thus still tormented:" }
        { \lyrics "Deare but remember it was I" }
        { \lyrics "Who for thy sake did die contented." }

    \paper{}
}

Lily tends to print error messages like this:

programming error: Negative dist, setting to 1.0 PT (Continuing; cross thumbs)
programming error: Negative dist, setting to 1.0 PT (Continuing; cross thumbs)
programming error: Insane spring found. Setting to unit spring. (Continuing;
cross thumbs)
[2]

But she also prints the lyrics fine, so I haven't (yet) gone to the
trouble to take the extra lyrics out of my ABC file and put them in
the lilypond-book input file.  The right answer in my case is to
figure out the underlay and print them with the music, anyway.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139