help-gnu-music

Re: upside-down slur?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: upside-down slur?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:45:42 +0100

> Hello,
>
> I would like to be able to create an upside-down slur, as in the attached
> GIF image. Does any of you have an idea if (and how) this is possible?
> This notation should mean that the saxophones and clarinets must bend the
> pitch downwards about one semitone, and then up again. This is used in
> Charles Mingus's "So long Eric".

One possibility is to draw a tie, force it to point downwards
and move it up a bit, something like:

smilyTie = {
  \tieDown
  \property Staff.Tie \override #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 1)
}

normalTie = {
  \tieBoth
  \property Staff.Tie \revert #'extra-offset ~ g4
}

\smilyTie g8 ~ g \normalTie ~ g4

(I haven't tested this example, though)

    /Mats