Re: C-u j in Rmail jumps to message number 4

From: tomas
Subject: Re: C-u j in Rmail jumps to message number 4
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:36:22 +0200

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 11:08:59PM +0100, BP25 wrote:
> Hi! I tried this with three independent Rmail files: does anybody know
> why C-u j in Rmail, shows message number 4?!

Because C-u is the "universal argument" -- a way of providing args
to commands. All by itself it just means 4 (yes, hear me out :)

Each additional C-u multiplies that by 4, so twice C-u means 16.

But you can enter digits after C-u (and before the command taking
the argument) to control your argument's value. So

  C-u 4 2 j

would jump to message 42.

This also works for moving around in a text buffer (where the
exponential behaviour of "naked" C-u does make more sense).

Cheers