Re: Impossible to customize world clock

From: tpeplt
Subject: Re: Impossible to customize world clock
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:52:15 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Notice that the second string in each pair is a city name, rather than a
>> country name.  So, your new entry should be: ("Europe/Berlin" "Berlin")
>
> No, the second string is just a label, something you want to be shown
> as the name of the corresponding time zone.  It can be anything, not
> necessarily the name of a city.  See the doc string for more detail.
>
>> This new entry appears to work as expected.  Try the following:
>>
>> 1. Start Emacs from a shell prompt with no configuration:
>>
>>    $ emacs -Q
>>
>> 2. In the *scratch* buffer, enter
>>
>>    M-x world-clock RET
>>
>> 3. Evaluate the following expression in the *scratch* buffer:
>>
>> (cl-pushnew '("Europe/Berlin" "Berlin") zoneinfo-style-world-list)
>
> This signals an error:
>
>   error: (void-function cl-pushnew)

Yes, it does signal an error.  It did not when I wrote the reply.  After
reproducing the problem, I was able to evaluate the ‘cl-pushnew’
expression successfully by repeating a mistake I likely made: typing
‘-q’ where I meant to type ‘-Q’.  With ‘emacs -q’, the expression can be
evaluated without signaling an error.

>> 4. Try ‘world-clock’ again:
>>
>>    M-x world-clock RET
>>
>> Results:
>>
>> Berlin    Monday 08 April 22:33 CEST
>> Seattle   Monday 08 April 13:33 PDT
>> New York  Monday 08 April 16:33 EDT
>> London    Monday 08 April 21:33 BST
>> Paris     Monday 08 April 22:33 CEST
>> Bangalore Tuesday 09 April 02:03 IST
>> Tokyo     Tuesday 09 April 05:33 JST
>
> If this works for you, you are not on MS-Windows, like the OP.

Yes, I did not even consider that there was an operating-system
requirement because neither ‘world-clock’ nor
‘zoneinfo-style-world-list’ mentions a o/s requirement.  The docstring
for ‘world-clock-list’ does provide some instruction, but it described a
problem (an o/s requirement) that did not occur.  Thanks for the
clarification.

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.