Re: Is the so-long package still needed currently?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Is the so-long package still needed currently?
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 13:26:33 +0200

On 26/04/2023 13:16, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 18:47:51 +0800

Hi here,

A long time ago, I've added the following configuration in my init.el file:

```
;; https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2022-03/msg00511.html
;; https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ogbl#inbox/FMfcgzGpFqRpjCqNNHSgDgkqmXWwtLrS
(use-package so-long
   :config
   (setq-default so-long-action 'longlines-mode)
   (setq-default longlines-show-hard-newlines t)
   (global-so-long-mode +1)
   )
```

But I'm not sure whether the feature in Emacs by default has already
capable to do all the works currently. Any tips will be appreciated.
Emacs 29 is supposed to fix the problem with very long lines, but
Emacs 29 was not yet released, and so we don't yet have enough data
points to decide that so-long-mode is no longer necessary.
I use the lasted git master version of Emacs:

GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-01-24

IOW, "the jury is still out" on this issue.
Then, what about my situation?

Why would the answer be any different? :)

If you want to help, you can always disable the so-long package and see if the built-in fix is enough for you.

Best wishes,

Thibaut