flyspell will not turn on in message mode buffer

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: flyspell will not turn on in message mode buffer
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:02:09 +0000

Hello all,

I have been playing with flyspell and some of the extensions available
on MELPA, specifically flyspell-correct [1] and flyspell-lazy.  I've
added the latter because I was having problems with keyboard lag which I
could attribute to flyspell mode (playing with spell-fu and jit-spell
[2] to confirm).

However, now I cannot get flyspell mode enabled in message buffers!  It
works just fine in text mode buffers generally.

Even if I try to manually enable flyspell mode, tracing the function
indicates it simply does not turn on.

Any suggestions?  I guess I could debug flyspell-mode but my edebug-fu
is not strong.  Maybe time to really learn...

Thank you,
eric

PS -

Footnotes:
[1] flyspell-correct is a very good addition to flyspell.

[2] which is very good but does not work in indirect buffers.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-03-12) on Debian 11.6