emacs 28.2 after upgrade lowercase s is broken

From: Jon Fineman
Subject: emacs 28.2 after upgrade lowercase s is broken
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:23:36 -0400

On OpenBSD after I upgraded the OS and EMACS and updated my packages,
the lowercase s is now not displayed correctly. This is using X with
awesomewm.
> This is GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8)
> of 2023-03-10

Only the lower curvy part of the s is sohwn. I.e. The complete upper
part is missing. If the s is bold is or highlighted appears.

I can recreate this with launching emacs -q and typing s in the
scratch buffer. See attached. Also note the status line the s in Lisp.

Any thoughts on how to debug this?