Re: Running with both PGTK and an X toolkit?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Running with both PGTK and an X toolkit?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:08:34 +0200

> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@catern.com>
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 00:47:55 +0000 (UTC)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Is this a change which would be interesting to upstream?  I'm hesitant
> to embark on it if not...

Yes, we are definitely interested.

> Also, are there any smaller component changes which would be interesting
> upstream?

Yes, these changes can be made piecemeal.  We already did similar
changes in the past, like converting the x_*, w32_*, and ns_*
functions into platform-independent gui_* functions.  The trick is to
make this safely, because there's a possibility of never reaching the
end goal, due to Life(TM) or whatever, and so too deep changes that
increase complexity but are not taken to their projected goal are a
burden we should avoid.  Small changes, which make it easier to
parameterize the implicit window-system dependencies and make them
explicit, and thus move us towards the goal, without introducing
unneeded complexities, is the way to go.