Re: Help with vc-ediff setup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help with vc-ediff setup
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:27:51 +0200

> From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 13:28:49 -0800
>
> A new part of my job is to review code changes made by programmers I have
> been asked to mentor.  I would like to use vc-ediff when doing this, but
> unfortunately, due to how IT configures our file permissions, I do not have
> write permission in these users directories.  This leads to a failure with
> opening 'file'.~branch~.
>
> I have looked through both the VC+.el and ediff.el for clues but I get
> hopelessly lost.  So if there is a way to specify creating these temp files
> under say /tmp or somewhere I have write access, that would be very helpful.

To allow a more efficient help, would you please show a backtrace from
the "failure with opening 'file'.~branch~"?  It is hard to help
efficiently without even knowing which function signals the error (if
indeed that is your problem), and reproducing your situation with the
few details you posted is not very trivial, either.