patn-insert.el requires cl which is deprecated

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: patn-insert.el requires cl which is deprecated
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:45:29 +0000 (UTC)

 Does anyone else use patn-insert.el by Bard Bloom of Cornell Univ. CS Dept.?
I've been using it sporadically for a couple of decades under Emacs 25.2.1 and
earlier.  It was published in the comp.emacs Usenet group in 1990 or so.
Google has deemed that group unsafe, so it's not accessible.
Now that I'm upgrading to Emacs 28, I find that it won't load because it
requires cl, which is deprecated.
My options seem to be:1. Find out if anyone has updated it to work under Emacs
27+ (in progress)2. Attempt to update it to use cl-lib myself (unlikely)3.
Contact the author (deferred)4. Keep my Emacs 25.2.1 installed just so that I
can use the functions in patn-insert
Comments?
- Ray