Re: Error: End of file during parsing

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Error: End of file during parsing
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:28:03 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>> If there is end of file during parsing, then why Emacs
>> cannot tell me at what line number it encountered error?

And the answer is even more specific: at the end of the
last line.

Maybe also it should say unbalanced parens? But actually it
can also be e.g. a string that isn't closed.

E.g.,

  EOF during file persing (do you have unbalanced parens?)

Well, that would be the most likely in Lisp at least ...

But cannot this be fixed mechanically by just adding closing
parens (or the corresponding close char) until it's OK? Yes,
the balancing problem can, but it may still be incorrect
Elisp, e.g

((   (err msg "Containing expression ends prematurely")

damn

->

(()) (Symbol’s function definition is void: nil

rats

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal