recentf prevents closing emacs

From: Haines Brown
Subject: recentf prevents closing emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 23:47:00 -0400

I recently upgraded emacs to version 27.1 (build 1,
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0) of
2021-11-27, modified by Debian. I did so while an emacs session was
running. Now I cannot shut emacs down:

  C-x C-c
  Buffer recentf modified; kill anyway (yes or no)
  [I say yes]
  Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, warnings

There is in fact a ~/emacs.d/recentf file owned by user and writable.
Perhaps the upgrade changed where files are by default located.

Another anomaly: I open calandar by pressing the F5 key. Now that key
instead seems to split the winow vertically and calenar fails to open.

I find this: /iusr/share/emacs/28.q/lisp/calandar. Does this clash
with the version of the emacs actually running, which i 27.1?

--

     Haines Brown
 /"\