Re: crash-proof emacs use

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: crash-proof emacs use
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:49:31 -0700

thanks!

i'd say stefan's example here is more or less the canonical/cynosure
one for non-crash-proof editing, but i am open to other
crash-proof-ness:

- kill, with the intent to yank elsewhere
- forget all about it
- save

knowing that i have to remmber and that i might forget or some other
thing is stressful and cognitively burdensome even if i do not forget.
computers shold be able to do some of that kind of organizing for me.
at least that is the idea.

editing some part of a sentence doesn't do this to me as much.
sending paragraphs elsewhere does.

or
perhaps it extends to complex org/elisp/bash editing or various types
of linking, perhaps ones where stuff has to be kept in sync or all
bases need covering.  i think it might be related to the "keeping a
stack of state in one's head" kind of thing, including cases where it
is too inconvenient/bad for rsi to literally keep on top of one's org capture
stack.  n.b. i always use only one window.  but it also has to be
convenient and low rsi.

idk, lots of possibilities.  kill, then hit an f key to say "this kill
has to be yanked someplace", maybe.  idk.

p.s. i just thought of another example of crash-proof-ness.  suppose
you decide that bef and aft are not sortable, and same with start and
end, and start and finish, so you decide to canonicalize on beg and
end.  and for times, bt and et.

so you use query-replace-regexp, which has 2 problems here.  one is
that you want it for multiple files, which wgrep can help with.
although it could perhaps treat all of its matches as if they were in
one file.

the other is the example.  you want to replace all those with beg and
all those with end at the same time.  you don't want to forget to do
the end part for any one of those start parts that you changed.

thus, as an example, a crash-proof query-replace-regexp would allow
multiple pairs of replacements.  perhaps with different colors, one
per pair.  but this is a less common need than crash-proof moving.
btw i am not on this list i think.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com