Re: [SOLVED] Re: (rx regexp to remove space and new lines

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: (rx regexp to remove space and new lines
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:00:22 +0300

* Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> [2022-09-13 17:33]:
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
> >> rx transforms 'whitespace' to [:space:].
> >>
> >> But (info "(elisp) Char Classes") told me that "[:space:] [...] matches
> >> any character that has whitespace syntax (*note Syntax Class Table)", so I
> >> assumed that the meaning is not constant... or is it?
> >
> > Good question. I'll check once I'm off work (unless someone else beats me
> > to it, that is).
>
> (rx blank) might be the better choice. Adding CR and LF to the puzzle,
> I'd use (rx (any "\n\r" blank))

Thanks, I have tried it here:

(defun rcd-string-clean-whitespace (s)
  "Return trimmed string S after cleaning whitespaces."
  (replace-regexp-in-string
   (rx (one-or-more blank))
   ;; (rx (one-or-more (or "\n" (any whitespace))))
   ;; (rx (one-or-more (+ whitespace)))
   " "
   (string-trim s)))

But it seems it does not work well:

(rcd-string-clean-whitespace "H   elllo
there") ⇒ "H elllo
there"

This version works well:

(defun rcd-string-clean-whitespace (s)
  "Return trimmed string S after cleaning whitespaces."
  (replace-regexp-in-string
   (rx (one-or-more (or "\n" (any whitespace))))
   " "
   (string-trim s)))

(rcd-string-clean-whitespace "H   elllo
there") ⇒ "H elllo there"

and I can replace whitespace with blank to get same effect

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman