Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:22:14 +0100

On 2021-12-23, at 22:59, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> Well, I don't have a translator job, either. And I have
>> a friend who is a translator, and it seems this job sucks
>> more and more these days... (Easy commissione are gone
>> because of Google Translator; rates have been the same for
>> about 20 years, not even raised according to inflation...)
>
> Yeah ... I'm back to running a workshop :)
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/blog/ums/ut/ut-ums.png> (4.7M)
>
> But I would like to have an bookish or analytical work just
> once before I leave this world. A full-time translator tho,
> oh no. I think even with Emacs a full-blown CAT that
> would stink. Well, MUCH less so obviously, but still ...
>
> Organization skills from Emacs comes handy! Soo easy compared
> to what we do every day, but don't tell anyone :)
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ums/photo/wood-shelf.jpg> (411K)
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ums/photo/wall-bench-shelf.jpg> (2.2M)
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ums/photo/triangle-wagon.jpg> (2.4M)
>
> For example ... see the distances between the uprights in the
> "triangle-wagon.jpg" photo? They are the same. It doesn't take
> a math professional like yourself to know that with static
> quantities and a single unknown it's - algebra :)
>
> But a lot of these guys don't know that. "- How did you do it? -
> A folding rule ... - Aaah ..."
>
>>> Are Poles the only ones ever to beat Russia in a war?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_(1920))
>
> Yeah, that's it.
>
>>> Sweden ... once super-militaristic, armed-to-the-teeth,
>>> then and still one of the riches countries in the world LOL
>>
>> Actually, we also fought Swedes once
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)).
>
> I know, I heard it several times! And I have heard young
> Polish people blame Sweden even more than Russia for the
> _present_ situation in Poland (whatever that is, in their
> minds). Because the Russians at least help rebuild and
> organize things after WW2, they said.

Hard to believe.  Russians "helped" with a lot of things after WW2, like
killing Polish soldiers not killed earlier by Germans and installing
a police state.  I don't think rebuilding and organizing were on the
list.

And blaming Sweded for what we have today is clearly insane.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl