Re: Kill all proportional fonts!

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Kill all proportional fonts!
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:59:13 +0100

Colin Baxter 😺 <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>                                                              But I want
> a permanent global solution. Is there any emacs-init setting I can use
> to banish proportional fonts totally from emacs - preferably forever.

The Modus themes provide a straightforward boolean user option
(modus-themes-variable-pitch-ui) to opt in to proportional fonts; FWIW,
I think it would make sense for Emacs to provide similar user options
(e.g. ui-use-variable-pitch, shr-use-variable-pitch,
outline-use-variable-pitch).

IMO it would be more user-friendly and robust than advising users to
tweak face attributes themselves.  Consider the snippet we put in NEWS
during last month's mode-line experiment:

> (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil :inherit 'default)

This puts the onus on the user to check future releases to make sure the
mode-line face is not supposed to inherit from other elements beside
variable-pitch.  Conversely, Modus-style booleans mean the user can rest
easy assuming Emacs will DTRT.

Disclaimer: I like those proportional fonts and don't mind them
"creeping in".  I'm also fine in principle with them being opt-in
(instead of opt-out like they were during the mode-line experiment);
however I'd rather not stick calls to set-face-attribute in my config,
for the reason given above.