Re: emacs-mac and emacsclient

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: emacs-mac and emacsclient
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 13:49:24 +0900

> On Dec 22, 2021, at 13:45, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

>>> I don't understand the logic behind putting NS bundles into PATH:
>>> aren't they only supposed to work when run from the Workspace Manager
>>> (i.e. GWorkspace)?  And if you want Emacs in your path, aren't you
>>> supposed to use `--disable-ns-self-contained' instead?
>>
>> My original question was:
>>
>>> I'm building emacs-mac locally but it looks like emacsclient is not
>>> included in the final Emacs.app so I have to use
>>> emacs-mac/lib-src/emacsclient which does not seem to be the best way
>>> to do that.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something during the build process that does not put
>>> emacsclient in Emacs.app ?
>>
>> What I would like to know is whether there a way to build emacs-mac so
>> that emacsclient is inside the Emacs.app package, just like it is for
>> the generic Emacs.app package.
>>
>> If you don't have an answer to that, that's totally fine. Maybe it is
>> a question for emacs-devel. I'll wait a few more days here before
>> checking there.
>
> I was asking a question and advising you to disable the self-contained
> bundle feature at the same time :)

But that's not the way I work with Emacs. I work with Emacs.app in the GUI
exclusively and I sometimes need to use emacsclient in a script (applescript)
to launch files directly in Emacs.

Having emacs and emacsclient in the path is just a convenience, not a
requirement. My requirement is that I can move the Emacs.app package and use
the commands that are contained inside the package.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com