Re: emacs-mac and emacsclient

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: emacs-mac and emacsclient
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 12:47:36 +0900

> On Dec 22, 2021, at 12:22, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
>> I don't want to run it from the GUI, just have it in the package, like it is
>> in the official Emacs.app:
>>
>> emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient
>>
>> That way I can put it in the path and run it whenever I need to.
>
> I don't understand the logic behind putting NS bundles into PATH: aren't
> they only supposed to work when run from the Workspace Manager
> (i.e. GWorkspace)?  And if you want Emacs in your path, aren't you
> supposed to use `--disable-ns-self-contained' instead?

My original question was:

> I'm building emacs-mac locally but it looks like emacsclient is not included
> in the final Emacs.app so I have to use
> emacs-mac/lib-src/emacsclient which does not seem to be the best way to do
> that.
>
> Am I missing something during the build process that does not put emacsclient
> in Emacs.app ?

What I would like to know is whether there a way to build emacs-mac so that
emacsclient is inside the Emacs.app package, just like it is for the generic
Emacs.app package.

If you don't have an answer to that, that's totally fine. Maybe it is a
question for emacs-devel. I'll wait a few more days here before checking there.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com