Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 08:58:23 +0900

> On Dec 22, 2021, at 4:37, Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs
> text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> The XLIFF standard does not define which documents should be supported.

XML *Localisation Interchange* File Format

As Eric says, the name strongly suggests document types and processes.

I'm not saying that's why OmegaT (for ex.) does not work internally with XLIFF,
but that's definitely the reason why a generic translation tool should not
focus on XLIFF support but just accept it as one of other file formats.

For one, when you translate, there are plenty of times when you need to modify
the source, and having XLIFF in the process requires an extra conversion step
each time you do so.

> The problem has more to do with your perception of the translation
> process, which is not defined by XLIFF.

Yes and no.

https://maxprograms.com/articles/analysis.html

> The application could display
> anything else, not just an XML file. What is interesting is that we can
> store and process data with XML.

Then you're talking about TMX, not XLIFF. *If* you want to stick to an XML
based standard. PO is just as fine for a lot of use cases.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com